Creating a mood board is an effective way to inspire and convey your design ideas visually. Using AI-recommendation, Canoa's infinite Canvas streamlines the design process and can help you organize your concept and ideas, so you can pull together an impactful visual presentation quickly and efficiently. Create data-rich mood boards, lay-out a scaled floor plan, and generate furniture schedules and budgets using a singular design tool.
How to create a digital mood board
Our Canvas is infinite, so there's no limit to what you can create. You can browse through our robust & data-rich product catalog with everything from renowned contract furniture brands to design-focused products from small makers. You can design with sustainability and circularity in mind using second life and pre-owned products. Simply drag and drop products and images into your canvas. Our toolbox provides lightweight design tools so you can edit images and personalize your presentation. Our Canvas Basics guide can help you get started.
Designing with Canvas
Define your design concept:
- Consider your design intent and the elements you'll need to convey your concept.
- Gather inspiration images and resources.
- Sign into Canoa, click on the Canvas icon on the left navigation bar, and select + New Canvas.
- A new tab will open up with a blank canvas. This is an individual mood board that you can use for a specific project or design.
- At the top is your tool bar, where you can access main functions quickly.
- Every canvas board created is given an auto-generated name. Click on the canvas name to edit.
- You can add images to your canvas several ways: clicking on the Add Image icon on the tool bar, copy/paste (ctrl+C / ctrl+V) directly from another website or drag & drop from a folder of saved images.
- To resize your image, click on the image and drag the curser to resize. To stretch or shrink you image, hold the shift key and then drag the cursor to resize.
- Cropping your image (coming soon)
Embrace the power of AI to help you design:
- Need help identifying a product from an inspiration image? Click on the image to activate the AI Assistant.
- Select Stuff Like Me to find similar products and Find Friends to find complementary products.
Add texts or shapes:
- Adding text and shapes are features that will be coming soon to Canvas. In the meantime, create the text or shapes you need using a word or drawing program and save them as an image. Then simply drag & drop them into your Canvas.
Add a floorplan:
- Drag and drop an image of your floor plan and drag the cursor to resize. (Precise scaling is coming soon).
- Right-click on your image to lock or unlock your selection.
Search thousands of products:
- You can search through our Products catalog by clicking on the + sign on the tool bar. You can enter a query in the search or filer by product Category (such as Accessories, Seating, or Tables), Brand (we have almost 100 unique brands!), or refine your search further by filtering by Sub-Category (for example, art & decor, lighting, or lounge seating or sofas).
- Slide the slider for a Detailed View of each product if you are looking for product names, dimensions, list price or carbon index.
- Drag & drop the product image into you canvas.
- Play around with the different search options to see what works for you.
- Our product images allow you to toggle between three different views - the scaled 2d drawing, the product image, and the detailed product card. You can use whichever view you need. Need all three? Copy the image so you can space plan with the scaled drawing, create a rendering with the product image or use the detailed product card to show furniture specs.
- Want to see full product details? Right click on the product image and select View Product Details to open the product card.
Customize your vision (aka Let the design fun begin!):
- Rearrange all images by selecting and dragging them around the canvas. Right click on your image to lock or unlock your selection.
- To automatically remove image backgrounds, select the image and click the Remove Background icon.
- To mirror the image, select the image, hold shift and drag right-to-left or left-to-right.
- To layer, select the image, and right-click to activate the menu and select bring to front or send to back (or hold shift + [ or ] to bring images front or back).
- To duplicate, select the image, hold alt while dragging the image (or you can also copy / paste).
- Want to open and save an image placed on your canvas? Right-click on your image and select Open Image in a New Tab. You can download and save from here.
- Made a mistake? You can right-click to Undo or Reset Transform.
Share your digital mood board with others:
- Click on the Share button at the top-right of the canvas board.
- Email individuals to invite them to your canvas and set their permissions (Editors can collaborate with your while Viewers are view-only).
- You can also create a public link to share more broadly.
Duplicate, Delete, Rename:
- To duplicate a canvas board, hover on the preferred canvas board, click on the three-dot menu and select Duplicate.
- To delete a canvas board, hover on the preferred canvas board, click on the three-dot menu and select Delete.
- To leave a shared canvas board, hover on the preferred canvas board, click on the three-dot menu and select Leave.
- In your canvas dashboard, you can rename all of your canvases. Hover on the canvas board, click on the three-dot menu and select Rename. You can also edit your canvas name, by clicking on the canvas title to activate the edit mode.
Need some inspiration?:
- Looking to be inspired yourself or need a canvas to start with? We've got you covered! Check out templates created from our community of designers.